Monday, June 11, 2012

Apple crumble

"Me want want crumblesies in my belly."

That is what my brother says to me every Sunday when I am preparing dinner. Every person in the world has their own version of this classic. However, mine is extra tasty and it is always finished!!

The way I make my crumble is a short method. When I say short, my mum says it takes me an hour because I like to fiddle with my ingredients. This recipe I developed from my mum's recipe when I was 8 years old. The basics of a crumble is simple: flour, butter and sugar. As I got older, I started experimenting with the topping adding desiccated coconut which is absolutely yummy, it makes the topping so crispy. My brothers blamed me that I was the reason they were gaining weight.  So then I had to create a topping that was crispy but not so fattening, by adding whole oats, almonds and brown sugar, it creates a glorious topping without the guilt. But, if you want the ultimate crumble topping just add a little bit of 'dessicated coconut', you only live once.

This is my 'much more' apple crumble recipe:

1. First of all, wash and core 4 apples. Any variety is ok just make sure its not soft. Then chop your apples roughly and place in a saucepan with 1 tsp of cinnamon, 1 zest of lemon, 2 tbsp of caster sugar and 3-4 tbsp of water.

2. Cook until the apples are soft on a medium heat and keep tasting for that balance of sweetness against a 'zing' from the lemon zest. Then thicken with some flour and water aka 'homemade glue'  until the sauce is thick and yummy.

3. Place your cooked mixture into your baking dish and allow to cool for 5-10 mins.

4. In a bowl combine 3 tbsp flour, 1 1/2 tbsp of unsalted butter and 1 tsp of cinnamon and lightly flake the mixture together. When the butter is mixed in with the flour, now its time to add the sweet 'goodies', add 4tbsp of whole oats, 5 tbsp of flaked almonds and 1 1/2 tbsp of brown sugar and mix.

5. Taste a little bit of your topping and re adjust the seasoning if needed more sugar, or more oats.

6. Then crumble your mixture over the cooled apples and drizzle 1 tbsp of honey.

7. Bake the crumble at 220C for 20 mins or until golden brown. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.

Trust me if when you put this in front of someone, they will be licking their bowl clean and saying 'much more crumble, much more!'





No comments:

Post a Comment